April 17, 2009

Learning the provenances of rum is like strolling through a Beach Boys song.

I'm having another one of those nights where I can't decide what I feel like making. I'm flipping through some of my drink guides and going "Ooh, that sounds good! Wait, I don't have any Cherry Heering." Flip, flip flip. "Oh, that's a neat one, too--wait, didn't pick up any ginger ale. Crap." Page, page, page, flip, page. "Interesting, but I don't feel like faffing around with egg white tonight." Sometimes you're just lackadaisical, you know?

So I'm going to just take a basic premise, the venerable Daiquiri, and reconfigure it to what I have on hand. I'm not using a white rum, so that pushes it towards a Jamaica Rum Cocktail, but I'm going to use that Pyrat rum I picked up yesterday, so it'd be more like an Antigua Rum Cocktail. And I'm using simple syrup instead of bar sugar, and maybe I'll add a splash of pineapple juice along with the lime juice. And I don't feel like straining it, and I'm too lazy tonight to make a second one, so I'll just make it a double. Hmmm...what to call this monstrosity? Big, rummy, influenced by Tiki drinks as much as the classic Cuban recipe? Ladies and gentlemen, I give you my newest creation:

The Brando Doble

(this makes a double; for a more manageable portion, just halve the ingredients)

4 oz Pyrat XO Reserve rum
1/2 oz 2:1 simple syrup
juice of 1 lime (about an ounce. if your lime gives you more, roll with it)
1/2 oz pineapple juice
2 dashes of orange bitters
3 drops (about 1/16 tsp) pimento dram

shake well with crushed ice and strain into a Double Old Fashioned glass filled 2/3 of the way up with ice.

This drink is proof that sometimes the things you just throw together can magically, alchemically merge into something surprising. Sorry if that sounds like I'm tooting my own horn, but I was really quite surprised that this works as well as it does. I was worried it'd be too sweet, I was worried that the Pyrat wouldn't work with the lime, I was worried that the pimento dram would be overkill. I'm delighted that my worries proved unfounded on all fronts. This is a really fun drink. My only issue with my first version of this cocktail (as pictured in the photo), which I've since corrected in the above instructions, was that I used too little ice to keep it cold. The crushed ice I shook it with melted too quickly in the drink itself. So now I have you pouring it over whole ice cubes in your DOF glass. Enjoy!
The Brando Doble

0 comments:

Post a Comment