July 31, 2009

Just a minor variation...

Remember the Hanky Panky cocktail of a few weeks ago, where we started to play around with Fernet Branca? Well, alter the proportions on that one a little bit, swap dry vermouth in for the sweet, and you've got this beauty.
Fifth Avenue Variation

1 1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz dry vermouth
1/2 oz Fernet Branca

Combine all in a mixing glass with ice. Stir to combine, and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Simple enough, and a pretty minor change from the Hanky Panky, but oh, how different it is! It's a lot less sweet, for one, which may be a deal breaker for some of you out there...I used to have a major sweet tooth for cocktails, but mercifully, I've outgrown it. There are a lot of flavors and a lot of botanicals in there, but the overarching flavor I take away from it is almost a sweet, woodsy taste...I really quite like it, but I'll be the first to admit it's not for everyone. Still, though, if you feel up to it, give it a try.

EDIT: It merits pointing out, if only so all of you can point and laugh, that when I initally posted this drink three hours ago, instead of "Fernet Branca" I typed "sweet vermouth." I'm not sure where that came from, as I most assuredly made it with the Fernet. I suppose I can blame the booze, but I must thank Tim from Ginger Bitters for pointing out in the comments below that the original drink, as posted, was a Perfect Martini. While it's a damned tasty drink, it's not what I made tonight. Thanks, Tim! Cheers!

Fifth Avenue (variant)

2 comments:

  1. Surely this is just a Perfect Gin Martini (perfect meaning that it contains equal parts of both dry and sweet vermouths not that it's actually a perfect drink).

    I think this drink is crying out for a little bit of orange bitters, one of the drier ones, like Regan's #6.

    Gonna mix myself one up right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, you know what I did? I typed the wrong ingredient for number three! I was flying on autopilot or something!

    Instead of sweet vermouth, it meant to type Fernet Branca...I don't know how I botched that, but I'll happily blame the booze, and I'll fix it right now.

    Apologies for any confusion!

    ReplyDelete