June 2, 2009

We got to move these refrigerators, we got to move these color Tee-Vees!

I pledged that I'd bring in a couple empty bottles as props in the show I’m doing. The only problem is that at the moment, I have no empty bottles. Only one thing to do!

They need a whiskey bottle, and I can oblige that with an empty of rye whiskey. In order to have that ready to go, I'm going to make a simple drink, but a good one. It's called the Approve Cocktail, and it's very easy to make. Three ingredients, a shake, a strain and you've just used up 3 oz of rye. Here we go!
Approve Cocktail

3 oz rye whiskey (or Canadian Club, if you prefer)
2 dashes Angostura bitters
2 dashes curaçao (Cointreau could be used here)

Shake all with ice and strain into a wineglass (well-chilled, if possible).
Lest there be any doubt, this is very much a sipping drink! While you've added a few aromatic notes with the bitters and the curaçao, it's still pretty much ice cold whiskey. Which is wonderful, don't get me wrong! You get the added spice flavors from the bitters and a tiny bit of bitter orange from the Contreau, and it really serves the rye well. I'd almost think, if you've got orange bitters on hand, that swapping a dash of Angostura for a dash of orange would improve it further, bringing the orange flavor to the forefront a bit more. All in all, not a bad libation. There's certainly bound to be worse ways to dispose of rye whiskey. I endorse, recommend, advocate, and yes, approve of this cocktail.
Approve Cocktail

0 comments:

Post a Comment