April 1, 2009

Drink Number Two tonight fared far better...

OK, so I decided to try to make it up to the gin and feature it in a drink that didn't totally suck. And I'm happy to say this one is far better than the first.

2 1/4 oz gin
3/4 oz lemon juice
3/4 oz orange juice (I used blood orange, again)
1/4 oz grenadine
dash of orange bitters

Shake 'em all together with crushed ice, pour out into a DOF glass, and add a drop or two of Angostura bitters on top.

This one works. The citrus and gin play well together, as expected, the orange bitters and the gin botanicals complement each other, the spiciness of the Angostura bitters is a nice touch, and the grenadine (I used homemade, natch...I'll post that recipe someday, as well, I promise) gives it a little sweetness to temper the tartness from the citrus juice.

All in all, I'm really pleased with this one, which I guess is just another Orange Blossom/Gin n' Juice variant. But it's not ordinary, and it has, like so many of the alchemical drinks that I draw inspiration from, managed to become more than the sum of its parts.

And I promise I will try to get some different kinds of spirits besides just gin and bourbon. As soon as I get some money and/or they go on sale.

0 comments:

Post a Comment