May 22, 2009

I will readily admit that I'm addicted to ginger.

There, I said it. I love ginger. I love the sinus-clearing zing of it, I love the tingle in my mouth as I eat it, I love the fact that it can calm an upset stomach. I even eat ginger candy, for cryin' out loud. I love it. It's my most favoritest rhizome. Anytime I get to use ginger in a food or beverage, I'm there.

So tonight's drink is one that relies on having a good ginger ale at hand. Normally I'd suggest Vernor's, as it's chock full of nose-searing ginger flavor, but...BUT, dear readers...it's got high fructose corn syrup, and I avoid that crap at all costs. So. I will instead steer you towards Boylan's Ginger Ale...it's a little more conventional in its strength, and it won't make you cough if you get a whiff straight from the bottle like Vernor's, but it's got a true ginger flavor, and it's made with cane sugar, not that corn crap. Alternately, Reed's Ginger Brew is another good one. So, go get yourself a highball glass, and mix up a Gin Gin Highball.
Gin Gin Cocktail

1 1/2 oz gin
5 oz ginger ale
2 dashes Angostura bitters

Build over ice in a highball glass. Garnish if you so choose with a lemon peel.
This is just a nice, simple drink, full of botanicals running around and playing tag with the ginger, frolicking on the green fields of your tastebuds (assuming you never ever brush your teeth), and generally pleasing everyone. This is also a good one to use with some of your more untraditional gins, the kind that have all sorts of wacky botanicals in them. Ginger is in so many different cuisines and types of food (main course, dessert, etc.) that it can interact well with all sorts of flavors. This is definitely one to try.
Gin Gin Highball

0 comments:

Post a Comment